sabato 18 luglio 2015

Esempio Personal Statement - Personal Statement Example

Corso/Course: Nutrition & Dietetics
Università/University: King's College London (KCL)
Esito/Result: AMMESSO/OFFERED A PLACE


My intrigue and respect for nature, science and the human body, has nurtured my interest on the influence that nutrition has on the well-being of our bodies and minds. I have chosen to study nutrition and dietetics as I can develop this interest and attain the nutritional knowledge and professional capabilities to convey awareness on the impact that diet has on health and in preventing and managing disease.
As I live and I am currently studying in Italy, my motivation and love for science is demonstrated in my choosing a "Liceo Scientifico" (scientific high school) for my secondary school studies. I have studied chemistry, physics, biology, geographical astronomy and mathematics, that have enriched my scientific knowledge, logic, problem solving and analytical skills, which I feel give me a solid basis for further studies in dietetics. In addition, I am studying Italian, French, English and Latin literature, philosophy, history and art, which I greatly enjoy and feel that they have encouraged my critical thinking and allowed me to consider multiple points of view and thus understanding better others. Furthermore, I have had to adopt good organisation skills and cope at times with great pressure in order to maintain very high grades in all subjects.
For the past three years, during the summer break, I have worked in my father's artisan ice-cream
business, assisting in the preparation of the ice cream, customer service and staff management. The growing demand from our customers for gluten and lactose-free ice cream has made me aware of the increasing incidence of food allergies and intolerances, and we have had to develop products to satisfy this need. I have learned the importance of hygiene in the production process, maintenance of machinery and storage of ingredients to prevent bacterial contamination. Dealing with customers has improved my communication skills and managing our staff, has enhanced my team and leadership abilities.
Assisting my frail grandfather last year, while he needed to be artificially nourished through a peg tube (a tube that had been inserted into his stomach) after losing his ability to swallow, following a serious stroke, was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever encountered. It gave me confidence in my ability as a caring and supportive person and insight into the role of enteral feeding, in maintaining nourishment and, in this case, life.
I greatly appreciate the area where I live that includes a beautiful fluvial park, where I regularly take long walks with friends and collaborate with other locals in a campaign to protect and clear our park of waste and polluting agents.
Studying dietetics offers an exciting challenge in understanding the various aspects of the science of nutrition and, with particular interest to me, the psychology of eating disorders and what influences our nutritional habits. The course appeals to me as it combines an essential balance of theoretical, experimental, and practical experience.
I believe that perusing my dietetics studies in English in the UK will give me greater further study and career opportunities in Europe and worldwide. The standard of English universities is highly valued and I feel they will offer me an excellent preparation and training. I feel confident in my capabilities in the use of the English language to further my studies. Although I live in Italy, I have spoken English from birth, as my mother is Australian, and I formally begun my first year of schooling in Australia. In Italy, I have always studied English at school and sat for my FCE certificate in 2012, gaining an A grade result and I am currently preparing for the IELTS exam, which I will take in February 2014.

With my love of nature, aptitude for science, and my motivation and enthusiasm to study dietetics, I look forward to the academic and social challenges that university will offer.

Nessun commento: